Legacy Application Lifecycle Analysis
Modern business survives and thrives based on its application portfolio, and far too often it is built around one or more legacy applications that may no longer be scalable nor adaptable to changing business requirements. Although the organization’s competitive advantage is captured in the business processes embodied by these applications, what was once an important asset can become a significant liability.
Taking an objective look at where applications are in their lifecycle and determining the best course of action is an important step in reducing risk and maximizing business velocity. There are many possible options for addressing applications that are at or near end of life:
- Sustain. Continue operating the existing application with minimum investment.
- Re-platform. Move the application to a modern environment, such as containers or hyperscale cloud.
- Decommission. Retire the application in a controlled manner.
- Replace. Re-create the functionality/logic of the application in another system.
- Break up. Split functionality currently provided into microservices (or containerized microservices), and then manage the lifecycle of each microservice over time.
Every application — and every organization — is different. Determining the best path for each application requires analysis and expertise. Rule4 can help your team objectively evaluate the current situation, provide recommendations for next steps, and help you move each application along its lifecycle path.
Contact Rule4 today for application lifecycle assistance. We’re here to help guide the way.