Paul Nelson is CTO at Rule4. In the decade prior to joining Rule4, Paul Nelson served as Chief Architect at AppliedTrust and then as Vice President of Architecture when the company integrated with a nationwide datacenter operator. In those roles, he provided architectural, operational, and strategic leadership for clients.
Paul works closely with novel technologies that have the potential to change the competitive landscape, such as machine learning. His areas of expertise include automation tooling, complex problem and system decomposition, operational and performance issue remediation, process implementation, and overall information security thought leadership. The common thread running throughout this work is enabling data-driven decision making to help businesses grow, compete effectively, and evolve as technology becomes increasingly more ingrained in all layers of business. Paul also has significant experience providing incident response and governance, risk, and compliance (GRC) guidance, with an emphasis on Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS), and National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) compliance frameworks.
Paul has a B.S. with honors in physics with computing from the University of Warwick, United Kingdom, an M.S. with distinction in information security from the Royal Holloway University of London, and an M.B.A. from the University of Colorado at Boulder Leeds School of Business.
In his free time, Paul loves to fly-fish, cook, bike, and try fun new outdoor things in beautiful Colorado with his wife and their two kids.
Follow Paul on Twitter @mrpnelson.
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Information Systems Security Architecture Professional (ISSAP)
- HealthCare Information Security and Privacy Practitioner (HCISPP)
- Payment Card Industry Qualified Security Assessor (PCI QSA) (2011 – 2018)
- Microsoft Certified IT Professional, Enterprise Administrator (MCITP)
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer – Security (MCP)
- Google Qualified Developer – Google Compute Engine (GCE)
- GIAC Certified Forensic Analyst (GCFA)
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) National Incident Management System (NIMS) – Certified